Now that you have worked out where, when and your budget now you can start booking!
There are different options available for travel. I’ll run through the basic ones for you.
1. Cruises: Cruises are an all inclusive option with upgrades available for a price. Cruises are nice if you are traveling with a large group because you can put your deposit down and each pay off your portion separately. You can also share a room and have your charges go to your own account rather than to the room. This works well for groups because you can do as much or as little as you want on your trip. Excursions are organized so you can book alone or with other members of your group. Cruises also tend to have organized programs for the younger travelers allowing Mom & Dad some alone time.
2. Tours: Tours are nice if you are new to travel or are on a bit of a time crunch. You can find a tour that meets your budget and trip length requirements. This is a great option if you want a guide. Most hit all the must see spots and usually include breakfast and dinner. Your travel and rooms are taken care of and if there are any problems you have someone to go to for help.
3. Resorts: Resorts have a few options available. Most have an all-in-one approach and you have a place to eat, sleep and be entertained all in one place. All inclusive options include food and booze into the price so if you really want to eat, drink and be merry this may be a good option for you. Some resorts are family friendly. Those usually have some kind of kids program to entertain the kids and get some kid free adult time while on your trip. A couple notes about the “Adult only” options. All adult only resorts are not created equal. Some cater to ONLY traditional Male-Female couples. If you are travel with a same sex friend or a group (like a bachlorette party) this is not the option for you. Some adult resorts have nude beaches or pools. This is an awesome option if you don’t want any tan lines but wish to stay dressed the rest of the time. Keep in mind some just allow topless women, some allow completely nude men and women so look for clarification prior to booking. It is also easy to avoid if it is not your thing since nudity is limited to only a small area. Up next we have NATRUALIST resorts. This type of resort is an all nude resort all the time. Nude sunbathing, nude bars, nude activities, nude dining. This type of resort is often confused with the last type… The LIFESTYLE resort. Lifestyle resorts are for partner swapping or swingers. If this is not your scene, don’t book at one of these resorts.
4. Travel packages: These include Flight, room and sometimes a car depending on the destination. You will often save a bit on the total cost of the trip by bundling together.
5. Booking everything separate and building your own custom vacation: Doing this all by yourself you should be comfortable with booking and traveling prior to attempting. There is no such thing as someone to call if something does not go the way you planned. If you are a seasoned traveler or going somewhere that you are comfortable book away! this can be an amazing option.
If you are just starting out traveling I recommend you get your feet wet with travel with either a cruise or a tour. Both allow you to see several places in a more controlled environment with many inclusions making your venture into travel easy. You will also have people around to help you out if you need it. Both also allow you to put a deposit down and pay off you trip a little at a time to make it easier for those that are on a budget and want to pay for the trip prior to going on it. The cruise ship is part resort, part tour. You can stay on the ship and never get off, book excursions or explore the shore on your own all without ever changing rooms. Tours will take you to several destinations resulting in packing and unpacking several times. It is a nice way to start learning how to travel or make your own “tours” later.
Up next in order of ease and convenience is the resort trip. If you are staying in a resort the majority of your vacation will be spent in the resort and enjoying all it has to offer. The concierge or tour desk can help you arrange any day trips you wish to do outside of the resort. Many resorts are offered in travel packages so you can bundle hotel and air in a package to save. If you book a travel package that is not a resort your amenities will depend on what kind of accommodations you book in your package. read the details.
Doing your own thing is completely different and the topic of my next blog…